Border Patrol

The screams echo across the fence in fevered broken English.
Bricks and rocks pelting the war wagons endlessly.

We were use to that, but now...
This was different.
Before, the hand held projectiles were thrown out of malice.
Now.
Desperation.

I smoke incessantly.
Cupping the cherry in my hand.
The smoke wafting through my fingers.

I wonder what they are going through.

It's been over two days since our mirror base has contacted us.
The only logical explanation is that they have been conquered.

A few get across, but are quickly taken down.
Take no chances.
Anything that crosses gets a bullet.

Alive or dead.

Use to be my only concern was smugglers.
How things have changed.

I have grown accustomed to lying in the dirt.
The ants crawling across my arms.

We are all alone now.
Each of us living silently in this death trap.

I have but one ally.

M82A1A SASR.

The annihilator.

The cross hairs dance about to the beat of my heart.

Relax.

Breathe. In. Out.

Feel the targets presence.

Smell the target.

Steady.

Clear my head.

Control myself.

One shot.

Breathe.

Aim for the head.

Squeeze.

Comments

  1. Very descriptive. The anonymity of the narrator lends to the reader's POV. This is me, a 36 six year old man when I read it and you, a whatever age woman when you read it and a sixteen year old boy if one ever finds your blog.
    We not only identify with the character, the lack of detail about him or her lets us be the character.
    Truly, Robert DeCoteau

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts