Rebirth

It spread.
Rapidly.
I tried everything to stop it, but it was far too late.

At first, it was just a mild fever.
Then the vomiting and bowel extractions came.
My skin drove me crazy.
It felt as if it was too big for me, like I was wearing someone else over my bones.
It itched and burned, and dangled off my muscles.

Things came out of me that I didn't know could.
I bled profusely from most all of my orifices.
My sight started to blur, as if I had filled my eyes with Vaseline.
My ear drums burst, yet I didn't lose the ability to hear.
Quite the opposite actually, I hear far better than I did.

I tried antibiotics, but to little avail, they couldn't stop the change.
Now they seem to just bounce off the walls of the bottomless cavern that use to be my stomach.

I fell into a frenzied sleep.
When I awoke, it had happened.
I was different.

I can't do much now.
I have no interest in most things.
My coordination has been greatly diminished.
I constantly have to remember just how to walk.
Every step is filled with a sense of dread that it may be my last.

I have no place to be.
I prefer to hide.
I keep away from roads.
I stick to the bushes.
I'm hunted now.

The insatiable craving to spread my affliction is all that occupies my time.
That and walking, it can become quite restless really.
I have noticed that by staying out of sight and keeping inside the tree lines, I stand a much greater chance of success.
They are quite foolish in their endeavors to avoid me.
They believe me to be inapt.

I have a plan.
While I may not be able to communicate, I am aware of my goal, the common one we all share.
Spread.

Though, I have found it harder lately to keep focused.
There are times when I just stop, unable to walk or concentrate.
I just slip into a sort of unconscious daze.
As if I am just rebooting.
Then out of nowhere I just begin focusing on walking again.

Time is of no consequence to me.
I have all of it that I may ever need.
I'm not sure if I will ever stop wanting to infect.
When the job is complete, I sometimes wonder what will become of me.
Will I just fall into a pit and stand still forever?

I tend to avoid crowds, but I always seem to gather followers.
They congregate around me, which runs a high risk of not getting my chance to procreate.
Once you have spread, the need to stay as a group strengthens, but the drive to contaminate is a higher priority and often outweighs the desire to keep together.

It was much easier to do so in the beginning.
They have learned how to control us, how to avoid us.
What they don't realize is that I have learned how to evade defeat.

The longer I go, the harder it becomes to stay in one piece.
Things move under my skin.
I have already had one of my hands eaten away.
Yet, I push on.

I never feel guilty or remorseful for attacking one of them.
That's just the way it goes.
If I am going to live on, than I need to breed more of me.
I can never control my appetite for it.
It is a single-minded obsession.

When the scourge of their plague has been eradicated, then perhaps I will rest.
Until humanity has been erased, I will carry on my desire to usher in a new age of creation.
I will continue.
I will prevail.
Welcome to the rebirth.

Comments

Popular Posts