Dark Corners

I used to be afraid of the dark.
I would always pull the covers over my head at night, nothing but an air hole to sustain me through the night.
Vulnerable to the hideous creatures that lurked in the dark corners, watching and waiting for me to drift away.

That was... until she came along.
Now, my only fear was for her safety.

Over protective?
Very.

She was my world.

I kept her safe.
She kept me sane.

Life had always been good to us.
Until the dead walked.

Then life became an endangered species.

The dark corners are filled with things much more horrifying than any childhood monster could ever be.

It was one of these dark corners that has taken her from me.

I can see it creeping into her eyes.
Overtaking the light that barely remains.

I fear what is to come.
I know what has to be done.

I do not think I can shoulder this.
I have no reason to keep up this charade of normality.

Misery has sunken it's teeth into my belly.
My being is slipping away with each of her shallow breaths.

I remember when we first came to this beach.
Her first swim in the ocean.
The waves breaking around her frail frame.

This will be the last.
For now.

They will all be eliminated.
All...but her.

I will wait in the dark corners with her.
I have become the nightmare.

I am the dark.
We are the condemned.

Within vengeance I find relief.
You will all burn.

Comments

  1. It is a very difficult think to find something to say in an artistic way in such a short text. You pull it off nicely. This reminds me of a book I read recently entitled Bits of the Dead. All short short zombie fiction and poems. very good read, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very poetic. The short phrasing lends to the mood; the desperation of the piece. I would love to see you flesh out a short story. Taking one character and one scene and putting all of that emotion into it.
    The hardest thing in flash fiction and short stories is to get an emotional response from the reader and you have that down.
    Truly Robert DeCoteau

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts